Wayne, Garth and John Calvin
January 25, 2009 Leave a comment
My attitude towards Top 10 lists may be summed up with one word, to quote Brick Top, “Ehh.”
However that didn’t stop me from recruiting Wayne and Garth to present my Top 10 dishes (below) or previously posting the Top 10 quotes of 2007.
In my previous post I intimated that 2009, for me, would be the year of Calvin, this in reference to my stated goal of getting through his Institutes of the Christian Religion.
I’m roughly following the reading plan found here.
My ehhness toward Top 10 lists doesn’t prevent me from listing Pastor Duncan’s Top 10, they are as follows:
- Because it is the most important book written in the last 500 years.
- Because it is foundational for every Reformed systematic theology ever since.
- Because Calvin was the best exegete in the history of Christianity.
- Because Calvin is one of the five greatest theologians in Christian history.
- Because he wrote it as a “sum of piety” not as an arid, speculative dogmatic treatise.
- Because it gave J.I. Packer the idea for “Knowing God.”
- Because Calvin thought and wrote succintly and clearly. “Brevitas et claritas” was his motto – brief and clear!
- Because you will know God better, if you read it prayerfully and believingly.
- Because it’s the 500th anniversary year of Calvin’s birthday. Don’t be a party pooper.
- Because I agree with what Derek and Iain say in their posts.