Colt McCoy has Tebow’s Back
October 11, 2008 5 Comments
“I thank God for this opportunity…”
Those were Texas QB Colt McCoy’s (above) words before a national audience after leading his team to victory against rival Oklahoma.
While an exhaustive and expert post-game report is sure to follow from the good folks over at Burnt Orange Nation, these are the thoughts of a random UT alum/fan watching this instant classic from the comfort of his home in Houston:
- Is it just me or is Brent Musberger’s longtime disdain for Texas still a bit too obvious?
- Nothing says big games like Pacific Life commercials, the sight of those whales is nerve-racking during a close game
- Colt McCoy and OU punter Mike Knall did their best to make Euro NBAers and soccer players (looking at you Thierry Henry) proud. Between the 2 of them they pillaged 45 yards worth of personal foul calls from the refs.
- Shipley to the House!!! 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown might have been play of the game. Not to mention his 11 receptions for 112 yards and 1 TD
- Is Chris Ogbonnaya for real? 127 yards on 15 carries?!?
- Henry Melton, are you kidding me? Roughing the passer after he has just intentionally grounded? Not smart H, not smart…
- Texas Defensive End Brian Orakpo was a beast, his performance against 6’8″ (330 lbs) OU lineman Phil Loadholt shows that he’s ready for the NFL.
- How is it that the OU offensive linemen got away with holding without getting called for it until the 4th Quarter? On one play early on, Loadholt was practically choking Orakpo yet no flag!
- You want to know why OU coach Bob Stoops’ fake punt gamble didn’t work? He was hamming it up with Mack before the game! C’mon Bob what happened to the steely indifference you showed towards your counterpart back when you were outfoxing him? You’re slipping Bob
- OU freshman linebacker Travis Lewis got hosed twice by the officials on personal foul calls. It’s OK Trav, Carles Puyol (noted Thierry Henry victim) feels your pain
- The refs robbed OU linebacker Lamont Robinson of an interception, erasing the bad decisions of Colt McCoy (for throwing it) and UT offensive coordinator Greg Davis (for not giving the ball to Cody Johnson)
- With 1:27 left in the 3rd Quarter, the OU defense looked exhausted, no wonder the ‘Horns were able to run it down their throats in the 4th
- Other than the aforementioned gaffe by Greg Davis, he called a great game, how weird is it to say that?
- What a great commercial feautring LaDainian Tomlinson and Troy Polamalu…
- I still can’t stand the sight of former OU QB and current QB coach Josh Heupel. Except that now there is more of him to loathe
- Texas’ true freshman safety Blake Gideon played like Gideon’s 300 men (yes folks, before Leonidas, there was Gideon)
- What is it with UT special teamers running into the punter in crucial situations? See Philip Geigger in the 2001 Big XII Championship Game. Granted Phil’s boy cost UT that game but still…
- Quan Cosby, this is your line: 9 catches for 122 yards, and one insanely wicked block. As ABC’s Kirk Herbstreit put it, “BOOM…”
- Is Sergio Kindle ready to step his game up and become Texas’ next great linebacker?
- All in all, this has to be the best UT-OU game that I’ve personally witnessed (in person or otherwise). I would have said it if the ‘Horns had lost, but the outcome only made it that much sweeter